Well that's progress for you!

It might surprise you to know that the Carousel of Progress is my favorite attraction. Most people I know will say, "Oh, I slept through that ride!". For me, it's a glimpse into the past, figuratively and literally!  I'm going to let my geek flag fly for a second and then I'll get to the point of today's post.  In the early 60's Disney began preparing for the 1964 World's Fair.   Walt was hired to produce an exhibit for General Electric Progressland's Carousel Theater.  Walt threw himself into this project and truly loved it!  When the fair ended, the building was demolished  but the animatronics were moved to Disneyland where it stayed until it was moved to Walt Disney World in 1975.  Unfortunately Walt never got to see the Disneyland version as it didn't open until 1967.

It's gone through many changes over the years but the story remains true to Walt Disney's vision. Walt always was moving forward, thinking of what is next and better, always striving to improve. Walt once said,

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

For me, the Carousel of Progress is my chance to connect with Walt. One of the few projects still left the he was directly involved with.  It's an attraction that embodies what he stood for, combined with his amazing story telling. Plus I'm a sucker for anything vintage so to "live" it for even just a few moments is an opportunity I wouldn't pass up.

While this information is all fun, I'm sure you're wondering, why the heck is she boring us with Disney history on a Monday morning?  When the opportunity arose for me to head to Walt Disney World for training I thought about whether or not it was a good opportunity.  Besides being a former Cast Member, we travel to Disney a few times a year.  Then I thought to myself, why pass up an opportunity to learn? To grow and to discover new things? I jumped at the chance and consider myself very lucky to go. While I'm sure there will be a lot of "refresher" info, I'm excited at the opportunity!!

Are you curious about what kind of training Walt Disney World offers for travel agents?  Here's a quick overview!!

  • 4 nights at a Walt Disney World Resort! I finally get to cross Disney's Contemporary off my bucket list!


  • 3 full days of training classes, resort tours and more! We even are going to head to the Disney Dream for one day!
  • Special experiences, tons of information and much more!
I'm really excited about bringing you all back new information and TONS of pictures!!  I'll be talking more about my plans as they develop over the next few weeks, including where I'm staying the night before the conference, restaurants I plan on trying plus more useful vacation information as always!!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! You know contemporary is high on our list off resorts to try! I look forward to hearing about all your experiences this trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE the Carousel of Progress! It's on our must do list and who doesn't like a catchy song in their head! I think in my next life I want to be a Disney Travel agent just not only for the awesome training, but to help people love Disney as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about your trip! I love the Carousel of Progress. I was a cast member when I first went on it. Another cast member told me that I must see it. It is one I never pass up even if my BIL thought it was silly. Anything that has Walt's hands on it like that will always be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete