The Wave

One thing I wanted to be sure I accomplished on this trip was to try at least one new restaurant.  Since we travel to Disney so often, we often fall into the trap of eating at the same restaurants.  I really wanted to book us at the Grand Floridian Cafe, but resisted that urge and booked us at the Wave at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

We got a later start that night due to a late start that morning!  We spent the better part of the day at Animal Kingdom and then swimming at the quiet pool. I was able to bump my reservation to a bit later.  Much like the Grand Floridian Cafe it seems the secret isn't out yet...

We arrived on time but my sweet baby girl had fallen asleep. I let the hostess know and she said it would be no problem accommodating the stroller so that she could continue to sleep. And sleep she did...right through dinner!

Our server's name was Jimmy and he was very informative! He let us know that The Wave was Disney's first organic restaurant. What did that mean? Everything is brought in from local farms and fisherman AND there are no deep fryers or microwaves in the kitchen! I had avoided this restaurant until now as I was afraid it would be bland and boring.

We both ordered a glass of wine while we checked out the menu.  We aren't seafood eaters so there wasn't really any appetizers that appealed to us BUT we were brought some amazing bread and butter with sea salt (OMG....so amazing!)

Since the menu is fresh and organic, it's always changing...therefore the menu you see online may not be the current menu. Mom had Oven-roasted Chicken with Florida Blueberry Bread Pudding and locally sourced Seasonal Vegetables.   We were surprised that the seasoned veggie was cauliflower kind of mashed up with a cheese sauce. My mom isn't a fan of Cauliflower but I thought it was great!

I ordered the Locally-sourced Thompson Farms Pork Tenderloin in a Charred Herb marinade with Bread Salad and Bourbon-grilled Florida Peaches. When I inquired as to what Bread Salad was they told me it was salad but with HUGE croutons...it was good but not what I expected.  The Tenderloin however was AMAZING! Full of flavor and very moist! I also ordered Potato Gateau with Goat Cheese...since I'd order almost anything with Goat Cheese.

To say we were impressed is an understatement.  We were blown away by the food and ambiance.  This restaurant jumped up our must do list for our next vacation!!  We were debating ordering dessert as we were headed to the Magic Kingdom for a bit of shopping and to see the Castle.  Jimmy assured us the desserts were very small portions. Each dessert was actually a trio of desserts.  Mom and I chose one and decided to share.

We chose the Creamy Indulgence:

  • Vanilla Cheesecake with Florida Strawberries
  • White Chocolate Crème Brûlée with Raspberry Macaroon
  • Olive Oil-infused Chocolate Truffle Mousse with Salted Caramel Sauce
The Cheesecake was probably the biggest disappointment. It was very good, and creamy but didn't taste like vanilla.  The Olive Oil-infused truffle mouse was advertised as a cake so we were surprised when it wasn't....but it was AMAZING! It was very chocolaty and delicious. My favorite, by far was the White Chocolate  Crème Brûlée .  I'm a fan of Crème Brûlée anyway but this was to die for!!

In the end, we will no doubt be going back to this restaurant. The menu had something for everyone and I don't really have any negative things to report back. Definitely add The Wave to your next trip!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Where is the wave? I didn't know Disney had an organic restaurant. This really excites me!

    Thanks for sharing the new resort, too! I hope you try it out so I can read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just updated my post! The Wave is at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow and wow! The Wave sounds great Amanda! I am like you and prefer my old favorites, but this (and the GF Cafe) sound like great options for next time :-) Thanks for the great review!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete