Fort Wilderness Cabins Tour

I will admit it being a little biased in this tour...I'm not a fan of the campgrounds or the cabins....the cabins more so. While I'm not a camper I do understand those who enjoy it and if you are going to camp anywhere, Disney is the place to do it!

I'm going to try and give both the positives and negatives to this property. While it may not be my thing, it may work for your family!

The first thing that I'll point out is the resort's location.  Just like Disney's Wilderness Lodge and monorail resorts, it can be convenient to the Magic Kingdom but not so to the other parks.

The other thing to keep in mind is this property is HUGE! It's 750 acres...that means getting around the campgrounds can also be time consuming. For instance if you decide to stay in the cabins, you'll be a bit closer to the main bus stops then say if you were camping, but you still might need to take a bus to the outpost depot to catch a bus to Disney's Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. If you want to go to the Magic Kingdom, you'll need to catch a bus to the Settlement Depot and catch a boat to the Magic Kingdom. The Settlement Depot is also where you'll find Guest Services, Trails End Buffet, Pioneer Hall (Hoop De Doo).  Overall I find that the campgrounds can be a bit inconvenient.

To get back on track, let's talk about the Cabins. Despite my luke warm feelings toward this property I was excited to see the cabins. Overall I found the resort to be very pretty. If I was having a low-key Disney vacation this might be a place I'd pick. I would do lots of relaxing, swimming and just hanging out. If I was spending a ton of time in the park, I think this would be a place I'd skip.


The grounds were very pretty and reminded me of growing up visiting the Adirondack Mountains. My dad is not a Disney fan but I could see him really enjoying this location.   One of the things I did love, was the outdoor space to cook out and spend time with family.


Once inside I remembered why I don't love this resort again. To me the decor just leaves something to be desired..especially for the price tag ($289 to $481 per night)!

Dining table, couch and another small table/chair combo. You can also see the middle panel that is the murphy bed.

This is a great option if you have a larger family but just keep in mind you might be bunking with the kiddo's! Here is the layout to help you see where everything is.


One thing I do love about the campgrounds is all the activities they have!
  • Swimming
  • Archery
  • Horseback Riding
  • Pony Rides
  • Wagon Rides
  • Movies Under the Stars
  • Chip and Dales Campfire Singalong
  • Boat Rental
  • Canoe Rental
  • Waterskiing
  • Fishing
  • Hoop De Doo Review
  • Mickey's Backyard BBQ

It's obviously a fun place to play and hang out but it's not at the top of my list of somewhere to stay right now. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Love it or hate it?


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. Disney is the cream of the crop for camping. My family has been several times with scout troops on the group campsites. Immaculate bathrooms, real sinks to wash dishes after cooking a meal and plenty of stuff to do without leaving the campgrounds.

    In fact, despite having park admission the first time we went, we decided to enjoy Fort Wilderness and save the parks for another time.

    For those who do camp there, if you'd like to watch the MK fireworks from the beach, the music is piped in, but it can get crowded in the spring and fall. Get to the beach early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips and comments Suz! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete