Fall Trip Recap- Disney Dining Plan

If we've ever chatted you'll know that I'm a HUGE fan of the dining plan. I am always explaining to clients why it's such a good deal and why I love it so much! This post is going to be a bit nerdy today...not a ton of photos and a bit of math (run now if you want!)



I didn't save my receipts but I'm going to use some online menu's to give you an idea of what we paid and what we spent!

We traveled during FREE dining and for the purposes of our examples today we had:
-2 Adults
-1 15 year old

Since we stayed at Pop Century we spend a total of $347.55 to upgrade from the FREE Quick Service to the Plus Dining. If we had paid outright for it, the plan would have cost us $1,082.34.  If you are unfamiliar with the plan, we would each get a total of:

-7 snack credits
-7 counter service credits
-7 table service credits
-1 refillable drink mug

When we left we had 1 counter service meal remaining that no one used...usually we have more!! LOL!!

The only thing NOT included would be gratuities.  To give you an idea of what you can expect for gratuities, here is what we spent for the week.  Some of these are higher because we added an appetizer or alcoholic drinks. Also remember, that since our 15 month old is "FREE" we often paid for a child's meal for her and that's included too!

Mama Melroses $20.86
Grand Floridian Café $42.61
Whispering Canyon Café $22.43
La Hacienda De San Angel $34.55
The Wave $49.79
Wolfgang Pucks $51.00
Ohana $39.87
Total $261.11


So far we are up to $608.66. Here is where some of you might want to break down exactly what we ate, but to me, for 3 people for an entire week, that's not bad at all! That works out to be just a little over $25 per person, per day (8 days). We did spend a bit more on some other things though.

I don't like using my snack credits on things like water, or soda so over the course of the week we spent another $50 on random snacks or drinks.

We are still under $700 for 7 nights, 8 days! Had we stayed at a Deluxe or Moderate resort we would have spent less cash that week as the Plus Dining comes FREE there (when offered).

In a separate post I will talk more about Food and Wine Festival where we spent a combination of credits and cash but since the average vacationer won't run into that situation I don't want to include it here. I think the dining plan remains a great deal, especially for kids aged 3-9!!

Here are non-peak 2012 prices to give you an idea. Pricing did go up a few dollars for 2013.

Quick Service adult   $34.99
                  child   $11.99

Plus Dining adult   $51.54
                child   $15.02

Deluxe Dining adult   $85.82
                child   $23.79


Now what if you have to PAY for the dining? We would have spent a total of $1,782.00 for the four of us. To me, for what we got, I would still pay full price.  I like the convenience of the plan and having the majority of it pre-paid. You can absolutely do with cutting back and not spending the extra $50 we spent and just use your credits.   We had some incredible meals last week and never had to worry about what the prices on the menu are!  I knew we had gotten a great deal and it was one less thing to stress over!

I highly recommend supplementing your dining plan with a Grocery order from WeGoShop.com!!  We ordered a variety of bottled water, breakfast items and milk. I'll be doing a review over at the Chicks later next week with my grocery totals!

No comments:

Post a Comment