Homemade Dole Whip

As part of our Disney Side Celebration next weekend, I decided to attempt homemade Dole Whip. For those of you that haven't been to Disney yet, or have yet to try Dole Whip, let me just share a little bit about it with you!

Dole Whip is a soft-serve Pineapple dessert similar to ice cream.  For many, it's a MUST  on their Walt Disney World or Disneyland vacation...as with many things at Disney, it has sort of a cult following.




Most notably it's served in Adventureland at Walt Disney World and The Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland.  You can also snag some yummy dole Whip at Captain Cooks at the Polynesian Resort and in the past year or so, at the Flower and Garden Festival at EPCOT. I've also heard you can get it at the Dole Processing plan in Hawaii!

Since our Disney Side Party is Polynesian themed, we wanted a fun sweet treat!  Since the Polynesian has a SELF SERVE Dole Whip machine, we thought it would be a perfect fit for our party!

Let's get started! First of all there are MANY recipes out there for homemade Dole Whip. Some require an ice cream machine and other's don't. Despite the fact that traditional Dole Whip is dairy free, I chose a recipe that is more of an ice cream mix with whole milk. I'll post a few variations for you try at the bottom of this post. First up is the recipe I chose to use:

1 Qt Dole Pineapple Juice (actually it was a full can of the 1 Qt, 14 oz can)
3 cups sugar
4 cups of heavy whipping cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Ok to get started, mix the Pineapple Juice and sugar together until they are well mixed! Once that is well mixed, add the cream and vanilla. Mix everything thoroughly together.

Once you are done, refrigerate for a few hours. Don't forget to chill your ice cream maker canister too! Once everything is nice and cold, fill your canister 3/4 with the mix. I then placed it into our bucket, surrounded by ice and salt (the salt is VERY important).

I don't plan on making ice cream often (or do I?), so I went with a cheap model from Walmart.com. The mix took about 30 minutes to get the right consistency.  

Of course I had to have a taste before it went into the freezer....it was delicious! I will say it was much creamier than traditional Dole Whip but it was so good neither myself or my husband cared!  Here are a few other recipes if you are looking to for non-dairy or something less ice cream like.

Other Options
_______________________________________________________________________
Pineapple Icee Whip
(from Dole.com)

Prep: 10 min.
Freeze: 3 hrs.
Makes: 8 servings


2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, mini marshmallow or mini chocolate chips, (optional)
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped


Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Stir in cherries or marshmallow or chips, if desired.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve. 
_______________________________________________________________________
Pineapple Whip
Author: Detoxinista.com (http://detoxinista.com/2013/02/pineapple-whip/)

Serves: 4-6

A creamy, fruit-based soft serve dessert!
Ingredients
1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon honey (optional, for authentic sweetness)

Instructions
To get started, you’ll want to freeze the pineapple chunks. I chopped mine a day ahead of time, and froze the chunks overnight. You could also purchase frozen pineapple, if you prefer. As you can see from the picture below, the frozen pineapple reached the 6.5 – 7 cup mark on my blender pitcher.
This recipe works best in a high-speed blender, like the Vitamix, because you’ll need to be able to pulverize the frozen pineapple into an ice-cream-like consistency. A normal blender will most likely not work, but a food processor might.

Combine the frozen pineapple with the almond milk and honey, then blend until a frozen sorbet texture is achieved.

For an authentic Dole Whip presentation, transfer the frozen dessert to a large plastic bag, and cut off the tip to create a piping bag. Pipe the pineapple whip into 4-6 dishes, and serve immediately!
Any leftovers can be frozen in an ice cube tray, and used in smoothies later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I have written about Dole Whips and posted the recipe so many times but I haven't actually made it at home. I love that you showed detailed pictures to follow. I'd like to give it a try for our #DisneySide party. I just hope mine comes out looking as delicious as yours! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb! I can't wait to taste them. The first batch was so yummy!! I'm glad the pictures are helpful! I know they help me when I find recipes!

    ReplyDelete