'Ohana means family...our Disney Side Home Celebration

Whew! What a weekend!!  Our Disney Side Party was on Saturday and I think it went really well! Lots of fun and food...especially food! That was the main focus of our party. We didn't do any games since the ages of the kids were pretty divided between toddlers and teens and a few in between.  We focused on just having a great time with our family and friends...and sharing some of our favorite food! Not only have guests been asking for the yummy recipes I used, but I wanted to share them with you all as well!! Plus a few sneak peaks of the party!



We had a ton of fun decorating the house...even though we kept it pretty simple!

Now on to the menu and the recipes!!

We started out with salad with Honey Lime dressing...this is my favorite and be warned the recipe makes A LOT. I still have some left in the fridge (YAY)!!

1/2 C honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C diced onion
1 C canola oil
Mix well and coat the salad....it's that easy!! I left out the raw onion but otherwise I made it with the exact ingredients...it was delicious!
_______________________________________________________________________

Next up....Pog Juice. I could literally drink this by the gallon. It's so delicious and easy to make!



21 ounces Passion Fruit Juice21 ounces Guava Juice14 ounces Orange Juice (pulp free)

Mix and enjoy! I found the passion fruit and guava juice in the international aisle with the Mexican food (they were Goya juices).
_________________________________________________________________________________

Now for hubby's favorite part...the chicken wings! I was nervous about doing a large amount of chicken wings until I read that they are BAKED!!! WOOHOO!!! I bought 5 lbs but my guests could have eaten double that! One thing I will note is I think the dry spice on the wings could have easily been skipped...the sauce was plenty sufficient...we can't wait to make it again!



Wing Dry Seasoning

1 tablespoon ground paprika

1 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Coriander Wing Sauce

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Wings
5 lbs chicken wings and drumettes
2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Mix wing seasoning indredients in a small bowl and using a whisk.
Put the chicken and 2 tablespoons of wing seasoning in a large bowl.
Add enough oil to coat the chicken evenly and mix well.
Spread the seasoned chicken in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Place all wing sauce ingredients in a large saute pan, and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
Cook and stir until thickened - the sauce will get sticky and thick within a few minutes.
Transfer the cooked wings into the sauce and serve.

________________________________________________________________________

This next one was a bit trickier and that's only because of the noodles. I wasn't entirely sure WHAT to buy.


I have to say this by far made me feel like I was at 'Ohana...the smell was AMAZING! I will note that the recipe was a bit too sweet...I would cut back the brown sugar by at least a cup and then modify as necesary.

The noodles I bought were called Yoba noodles and they where a Chinese Buckwheat noodle. Pretty darn close if you ask me! I also omitted the cabbage as I'm not a fan!

Ingredients

Pineapple Glaze

2 Cup Brown Sugar

1 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 1/4Tablespoon Fresh Garlic, minced
1 1/4 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, minced
2 1/4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
4 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice, frozen concentrate
Yakisoba Noodles

Shredded Red & Green Cabbage
Shredded Bok Cho

Dissolve all ingredients, except cornstarch and pineapple juice, in sauce pot.
Bring to a boil.
Make a slurry with the cornstarch and pineapple juice, and slowly add to boiling mixture to thicken.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain through fine mesh strainer.
Saute shredded red and green cabbage and bok choy in wok.
Add Yakisoba noodles and Pineapple glaze and toss.
____________________________________________________________________

For our last 2 items...I'll admit....I cheated!!  Neither one was prepared by me!


And now what you've all been waiting for....which Dole Whip Recipe won?  By a landslide...recipe #1!
The first 7 taste testers said #1 so we just gave up and doled out that one instead (get it? Doled....).  For fun a few pictures from the party!

Sorry for the clarity of the pics...I was exhausted by this point and just took a few cell phone pictures



Thanks again to everyone who came! We had a great time!

7 comments:

  1. Was Recipe #1 the one we tried? We still have some in the freezer and some of the mix left over to make more! LOL

    Your party looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so! I just updated the post to include a link of the recipe we used!
    http://www.livingwiththemagic.com/2014/02/homemade-dole-whip.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of an Ohana themed party! I know a lot of people would welcome a tropical paradise right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! Looks like you had an amazing party! What a great theme to "escape" the winter cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the theme for your party and could really use a tropical escape myself. I am most impressed with the food! It all looked so tasty and were some of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made the Yakisoba noodles and pineapple glaze. We cut the brown sugar to 3/4 cup but ended up adding a little agave nectar after tasting during cooking. It still turned out pretty sweet.

    Had a blast at the party!

    ReplyDelete