To EMH or Not to EMH

That is the question! Of course EMH standing for Extra Magic Hours.  If you search among the many discussion forums, or even just google the topic, you'll get 10 different answers to this questions. Today, I'll give you my view!


There are two basic theories when it comes to Extra Magic Hours

1) Go to them....you'll beat the "regular" crowds
2) Don't go to them, but go the day BEFORE. In theory the park may be quieter because everyone is planning on EMH.

I know simple right...go or don't go?

Ah, if it were only that simple I would have to write about it today!

For my family, and many of my clients, I break it down into a few categories that seem to work best.

1) EMH in the morning for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom
2) EMH in the evening for Magic Kingdom
3) The rare evening EMH at Animal Kingdom

I know, but what about EPCOT and Hollywood Studios? I'll get there...


Let's start at Animal Kingdom!

Personally Animal Kingdom early morning EMH is the best way to use Extra Magic Hours. Typically  this means the park opens at 8 a.m. instead of 9 a.m.  I would highly recommend trying to arrive by 7:30ish.  For early EMH the following rides are open:

Expedition Everest 
DINOSAUR Kilimanjaro Safaris  
It's Tough to be a Bug! 
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail


I know it doesn't look like a lot but did you realize that Animal Kingdom is the largest of all the park? Granted much of that includes the vast savannahs but it can still be quite time consuming!    


Most people are going one of two ways when the park opens; to the left for the Safari or to the right for Expedition Everest.   I believe either way works but we typically like to head to the Safari first, and our reason? Fast Passes.  

Since Disney is now enforcing the Fast Pass rules we like to arrive at Everest a bit after opening.  Usually the line is only about 10-15 minutes.Once we have waited in line, gone on the coaster and wandered through the gift shop, the Fast Pass time is late enough that we can work it into our schedule and come back later.  

Then we like to head over to Dinosaur.  After that the park is probably getting ready to open and we can spend the rest of the day leisurely exploring Animal Kingdom the way it's mean to be explore!

Next up is Magic Kingdom, the other park I think early EMH is a great idea, especially with the Fantasyland project going on.  The first place we head is Fantasyland before the lines get out of control. I love Peter Pan as much as the next person but I will not wait 70 minutes for it!

After Fantasyland we'll head to Space Mountain but by then it's most likely that the park is open.  You could always swing by Space Mountain first but again with the Fast Pass rules being enforeced it's likely the time will be too early.


Here is a list of Early EMH rides that will be open at Magic Kingdom.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin 
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephant 
"it's a small world" 
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 
Mickey's PhilharMagic 
Peter Pan's Flight 
Space Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape! 
Tomorrowland Speedway

So why no EMH at Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. It's not that I'm opposed to them but I can guarantee you I won't be getting up to be at the parks at 8 a.m. EVERY day, so I pick my top two and the two I think are the best use of time.

Ok so not too many early mornings...but what about evenings?  I think Hollywood Studios is a great evening EMH for the older kids. But since so many attractions here are shows, the list is a bit limited as to what is open.

Muppet*Vision 3-D
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours
Toy Story Midway Mania!
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
I kind of feel the same way about EPCOT.  In the morning the only real benefit is Soarin', especially with Test Track closed right now.  Evenings at EPCOT are often spent in World Showcase but for EMH that wouldn't come into play.

Living with the Land 
Mission: SPACE 
Soarin' 
Spaceship Earth 
Test Track

I love Living with the Land as much as the next person, but I don't need to spend time during EMH to ride it!

I added in evening EMH at Animal Kingdom even though it's not really done much anymore, if at all. One of my favorite memories was walking around Animal Kingdom while it was dark, after dusk. My husband and I had a blast riding Everest at night at going on Kali River Rapids 3 times in a row because there were no lines! If it ever happens, I highly recommend going!

I hope that gives you a brief insight into Extra Magic Hours.  This isn't by any means a hard and fast rule, but so far it's worked really well for us.  

What do you think about EMH? Does your family go?

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I like late EMH at Magic Kingdom...we get the change to get one most of the kiddie rides that we love without as many kids around and most of the family has stayed behind and gone to bed, so they don't whine that we wanted to go on the kiddie rides :) One night we did it an went on just about every little kid ride they would let us on...it was so much fun!!! I felt like we were 10 years old together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too!! I should have included it here. I find that falls in the category with just adults or families traveling with older kids. It's often too late for the little ones but hubby and I love it too!

    ReplyDelete